Irritrol RainDial Interior/Exterior Case Configurations
The Rain Dial series of controllers come in two main configurations – interior and exterior. The exterior models have fairly solid housing and hinge mechanism. They also have the transformer contained on the rectangular section to the right.
The interior irritrol raindial models contain an separate transformer that plugs into an AC outlet. The hinge on the case is just a thin layer of plastic that can eventually wear down and break off.
What do do when the Case Door breaks off
Here are my thoughts on what to do with a broken hinge:
Unfortunately, there are note any good “official” solutions that I’m aware of. However, several customers have reported reasonable success with the following options:
- Use the extra thick black “Gorilla” duct tape; it’s very durable and has a good adhesive, better than typical duct tape. They sell this at lots of stores including Home Depot and Lowes.
- Use the packing tape that has the nylon strings built into it
- You might be able to add your own metal hinge to it, but that a bit more work; they sell small hinges in most hardware stores.
- Check with a local landscaper – sometimes they purchase the interior models because they’re cheaper and then take the controller module out of them to put in an exterior case (they’re actually the same, it’s the transformer that is rated external or internal). Thus, they often throw out the interior case…
If anyone has other solutions, please comment below.
(c) copyright 2017 Brian Keller – aka the RainDialDoctor
For help programming the RainDial RD600-1200 series sprinkler/irrigation controllers, see the following programming guide and then review the manuals above. This is a quick guide, not the user manual. If you’d like to see the full manual, click here.
- Irritrol Rain Dial Sprinkler Controller Programming Guide – template
- Irritrol Rain Dial Sprinkler Controller Programming Guide – Overview
- Irritrol Rain Dial Sprinkler Controller Programming Guide – Example and Programming Tips
Irritrol Programming Templates and Tips
To avoid spam and other problems, your comment won’t appear until it’s been approved. Don’t worry if you don’t see it right away.
To add a question, go to the bottom of the page, fill in the comment and click Post Comment.
Please look at the DIY Troubleshooting section before posting, answers to most questions can be found there.
You can also reply to other people’s questions if you like. (Thanks for helping)
Please try to include the following with your question, list:
1) the date code (located under the battery),
2) the model number shown on the face of the controller (usually below and to the left of the dial, e.g., RD-600 or RD-600-R).
3) Color (mostly Gray or Blue) based on the example rainDials shown at the top of the page.